- Free speech has become an issue of significant controversy. This debate will assess a number of key questions, including:
- To what extent should freedom of speech be regarded as an absolute value?
- Is it possible to draw a clear distinction between speech and action?
- What constitutes hate speech and should it be banned?
- Melantha Chittenden – National Union of Students LGBT+ officer
- Claire Fox – Director of the Institute of Ideas, BBC Radio 4 Moral Maze panellist, author of ‘I Find that Offensive!’
- Professor Mark Hammond – former CEO of the Equality and Human Rights Commission
- Professor James Soderholm – Head of Humanities, Simon Langton Grammar School for Boys
Venue, Date and Time:
Old Sessions House, Canterbury Christ Church University, OG46, Longport, Canterbury, Kent, CT1 1NX Thursday 26 January 2017, 18:00-20:00.
Come and participate in the debate – all welcome!
Supported by: Canterbuy Christ Church Students’ Union / Engaging Sociology / Politics Matters / CCCU UCU
This event is open to the public.
Canterbury Christ Church University was graded Green for freedom of speech in the 2016 Free Speech University Rankings which are sponsored by AFAF.